Once upon a time in a land not so far away, I wanted to create a fairytale. What I didn’t realise was that the fairytale was always right here… Why are fairytales always so enticing? It’s a mixture of elements that come together to engage our imaginations, ignite our passions and play on our desires. Throw in a little mystery, danger and suspense and we are lost in the story.
Reading is wonderful, magical even, but fairytales often leave us wishing we were somewhere else, doing something else and living a different life. What if I told you that there is a way we can engage the fairytale in our own lives and invite magic in? Want to know the secret? Come a little closer… closer still… SSSHHHH!!! Let me tell you the secret!
- Be thankful. Having a thankful heart will help you to see that there is beauty even in the mundane or difficult. Use a gratitude journal or even a daily social media post to find something to be thankful for each day. You could challenge a friend and send thankful notes to each other each day. Day by day, you will see little sparks of magic appearing in your world.
- Look for beauty. Not everything is beautiful. Those dirty dishes, that dog hair on the couch, that bad news on the radio… how can there be beauty in those? Well, the dirty dishes mean you ate! The dog hair is like little love notes from your furry best friend, who feels right at home with you. And that news…? Well, it gives us an opportunity to send a little prayer, or good thought to the victims of the crimes we hear about. There is beauty absolutely everywhere, if you choose to see it. Now is your chance to find your fairytale.
- Get back to nature. Every fairytale has an element of… the elements. Whether the hero gets lost in a forest, or has animals helping her, or she lives in the sea, there is always an element of nature. Finding ways to incorporate nature into your world will help minimize stress, provide you with more oxygen, lift your mood and beautify your environment. Even if you are stuck in an office every day, having a desk plant, or taking a short walk among some trees or grass will do the trick. Find nature and she will show you her wonders.
- Love. Love? How can love help me live in a fairytale? Well, it’s simple. The happily ever after you are seeking isn’t going to come from a prince or a castle. (well, probably not, anyway.) It’s going to come from making every decision from a place of love. First, love yourself. Deeply, with all the flaws, scars and mistakes. Then, use that self-love to accept and love those in your life. Feel at peace with who people really are and make decisions for yourself and others, from a place of love, rather than fear. My partner’s best friend gave me this advice when I first met him. He meant it for within my new relationship with my partner, but it has stuck with me through the years. When times are feeling a little lacking in magic, I try to remember to use love. The grumpy cashier? Love! The tantruming 2-year old? Love! The noisy neighbours? Yes, even them…… LOVE! It’s not always, easy, but love really is the way.
- Water. Water is the source of all life. It sustains us, cools us down, warms us up, suspends us, flows in our bodies and makes us happy. It makes up 70% of our bodies, 70% of the planet and about 31% of our bones. In Victorian times, doctors prescribed “sea air” for all sorts of illnesses. Today, we pay extra for sea views and journey to bodies of water to reset ourselves, year after year. Just like for a mermaid, water is life. If you are feeling down, or cranky, find a way to use water to bring the fairytale back. This works wonders with children too! As the amazing author, Sark so wisely says: “If they’re crabby, put them in water.” It could be a bubble bath, a spray-bottle, a swim, dancing in the rain, jumping in puddles, or an ice cold drink. Let that mermaid tail grow and sparkle as you reset and re-balance your energies in water.
There are sprinkles of magic all around us, all the time. To find the mermaid within, reach within and see with new eyes. Choose to make your life a magical, happy one, and dance into the sunset with glittering eyes and a happy heart.
“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” Roald Dahl